I had to keep the tradition going and make him a German chocolate cake for his birthday, but this year they had to fit on our keto diet menu.
I made the best low carb german chocolate cupcakes using some keto diet basics, coconut flour, unsweetened coconut flakes and Monk fruit sweetener
I'd say it was a success because he ate four of them in one sitting and said it was ok because they were keto cupcakes!
*this post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase any of my recommendations I may receive a commission at no extra charge to you
Keto Friendly Dessert recipe
I was so pleasantly surprised by how moist these cupcakes turned out. My previous attempts at making low carb cupcake recipes have turned out crumbly and too dry, but these are truly the consistency of a perfect chocolate cupcake.
With a lot of Keto diet dessert recipes they call for different sugar substitutes, which I feel like have an odd after taste and even kind of burn my throat a little, especially in recipes that call for a 1/2 cup or more of sugar substitute. I'm not sure if thats just me or something you have noticed too, but a few months ago I was introduced to Lakanto Monkfruit sweetener and its a game changer!
Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener has no bitter after taste, and is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol with zero net carbs, zero calories, and is a zero glycemic sweetener!
How excited are you that this actually exists? Lakanto is Keto friendly, Paleo-friendly, Vegan, NON-GMO, and All Natural.
Truly the Best Chocolate Cupcakes
Along with the Monkfruit sweetener, to make this a keto friendly dessert recipe I also used Now Foods Coconut flour instead of regular flour, which you can't really taste a coconut flavor, but it seems to be a really great addition to the chocolate flavor of these cupcakes.
You will notice for the German Chocolate frosting I recommend using liquid Lakanto Monkfruit sweetener. When I used the granulated sugar the icing got a little firmer than I'd like. If you only have the granulated sweetener use 1/2 cup in the frosting recipe instead of the liquid sweetener, but the liquid will give you a much better consistency.
Ketogenic Diet Macros
I have found that most people starting out on Keto don't realize that you should be counting Net Carbs when following a Keto Diet. So when you look at the nutrition label you subtract Fiber from the Total Carbs and that equals Net Carbs.
Each Chicken Tender is .5 net carbs
If you try out this recipe be sure to tag me on instagram @themermaidwithmuscles so I can see how they turned out!
Low Carb Chocolate Cupcakes
recipe makes 12 cupcakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
WHATS YOU NEED:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 7 tbsp cocoa powder
- 7 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 2/3 cup Lakanto Monkfruit granulated Sweetener or your choice of sweetener
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
HOW TO DO IT:
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with tin liners (I recommend also greasing the liners)
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, cocoa powder, and mix well.
- Be sure the butter mixture has cooled before you move on to this step. Add the eggs and vanilla and blend until well combined.
- Add the coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, salt and blend until fully combined.
- Mix in the almond milk.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin tins and bake in center of oven for 25 to 30 minutes. insert a tooth pick into center of cupcakes, if it is clean when you pull it out the cupcakes are done!
- Set aside on a cooling rack
Keto German Chocolate frosting
WHATS YOU NEED:
- 1/2 cup Canned Coconut Milk
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 10 drops of Lakanto liquid Monkfruit sweetener or 1/2 cup granulated
- 1 cup Finely Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
HOW TO DO IT:
- In a small saucepan combine coconut milk, egg yolks, butter, vanilla and sweetener.
- Start with 10 drops of liquid sweetener and continue adding to taste.
- On medium heat, bring to low boil and continue whisking for about 10 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, stir in the coconut and pecans. Set mixture aside until room temperature.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled divid frosting evenly on top of the 12 chocolate cupcakes
Shop for the Ingredients Used in This Recipe
Nutritional information is provided and I keep it as accurate as possible. Keep in mind nutrition facts on all ingredients may vary depending on the different brands you may use.
Want to Boost your Keto Results?
When you first start a Keto Diet the change in your body, mind and appetite are Amazing! The diet alone is sure to get you results, but don't be afraid to dive into a workout plan and kick it up another notch to really improve your health, and give you the confidence you deserve!🏋
I want to help you get to your after photo so I have created all of these free resources to help you get started:
Whether you are new to meal plans and exercise or have hit a plateau on your fitness journey don't hesitate to message me or comment below with any questions!