Low Carb Mint Chocolate Gelato
This gelato recipe is at the top of my favorite Keto approved desserts. When you compare gelato vs ice cream you'll see that gelato is a little more creamy and has a softer consistency than ice cream recipes.
Mint chocolate gelato is the perfect low carb dessert to add to any keto meal plan.
*this post contains affiliate links
Keto Friendly Sweetener
For this recipe I used Lakanto MonkFruit Sweetener, which tastes like sugar, but has zero net carbs, zero calories, and is a zero glycemic sweetener. Lakanto is a mix of monk fruit and erythritol that is Keto, Paleo, Vegan, NON-GMO, and All Natural
Erythritol is also a naturally occurring sugar alcohol that contains virtually no calories, has a low glycemic impact and taste just like sugar, but in my opinion can sometimes have a strong after taste and kinda leaves this burning feeling in my throat lol Am I crazy or does any one else know what I'm talking about?
If you prefer truvia, swerve or stevia you can certainly use those instead, just keep in mind you may need to adjust the amount you use and the net carbs may be different.
Count Net Carbs
I have found that most people starting out on Keto don't realize that you should be counting Net Carbs when following a Keto Diet. So when you look at the nutrition label you subtract Fiber from the Total Carbs and that equals Net Carbs.
For this recipe the Total Carbohydrates are 3.5g, the dietary fiber is .9, so subtract the dietary fiber .9, from the total carbs 3.5g = 2.6g Net Carbs per serving
It's so creamy and the perfect end to a long day, especially if you have a scoop over a Super fudgy Avocado Brownies!
Mint Chocolate Keto Gelato
Recipe makes about 7 servings
1 serving is 1 large scoop (79g)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Set time: 4 hours
What you'll need
•16 oz heavy cream
• 5 egg yolks
• 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
• 2/3 cup Lakanto monkfruit Sweetener or erythritol sweetener
How to Do it
1. Put a glass tupperware container in the freezer, this will be used later to store your gelato!
2. Bring the heavy cream to a boil
3. Stir in sweetener until fully dissolved
4. Add cocoa powder and mix thoroughly until there are no clumps and reduce to a simmer
5. Once mixture has thickened enough to coat your spatula remove from heat and let cool
6. Separate egg yolks and whisk in the vanilla and peppermint extract
7. Add a small amount of the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture whisking continuously (if you add the hot chocolate mixture to the egg mixture too quickly it might start cooking the eggs, which would be gross in your gelato)
8. Add remaining chocolate mixture to egg mixture and mix well
9. Grab your glass container from the freezer and transfer mixture into the container. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or until desired consistency. I left mine in the fridge overnight and the next day it was perfect. I did put it in the freezer at that point, but for me it was hard. So try it in the fridge first and then if you want it a little more firm try the freezer.
Follow me on Pinterest so you don't miss new recipes
Nutritional information is provided, and I keep it as accurate as possible. Keep in mind nutrition facts on all ingredients may vary depending on the different brands you may use.
Want to Boost your Keto Results?
When you first start a Keto Diet the change in your body, mind and appetite are Amazing! The diet alone is sure to get you results, but don't be afraid to dive into a workout plan and kick it up another notch to really improve your health, and give you the confidence you deserve!
I want to help you get to your after photo so I have created all of these free resources to help you get started:
Whether you are new to meal plans and exercise or have hit a plateau on your fitness journey don't hesitate to message me or comment below with any questions!
Hi, I'm Megan a NASM Certified Personal Trainer, on a mission to help you get fired up about your goals, learn the most effective workouts to burn fat, be your most confident self, and never settle for an average workout, relationship or life.
My goal is to debunk all the fitness myths and conflicting information about diet and exercise, so you can enter the gym with determination and a plan in hand to crush your goals. Whether you want to perform like an athlete, lose weight or build more muscle, I got you!